How to choose a hypnotherapist
If this is the first time you have thought about hypnotherapy you may be wondering how choose the best therapist for you. I have put together 5 tips to help you make that decision.
- Check they are fully qualified by a recognised body. Unlike other professions, there isn't a single overseeing organisation for hypnotherapy, but there are recognised qualifications that any hypnotherapist should have. One way to check that the therapist you have chosen is qualified is to look out for organisations such as APHP, NCH, CNCH. Alternatively you can look for them on the hypnotherapy directory which only accepts qualified therapists on their site. Click here to see my entry.
- Gather lots of information about any hypnotherapist you are interested in. Look up their website, see what specialist areas they cover, where do they see clients, what sort of promises do they make. No therapist should guarantee to 'cure' you and you should be wary of any that do. Most hypnotherapists offer to treat a wide range of issues, whilst others will focus on being experts on a few.
- Look at their prices. Some hypnotherapists will charge a lot of money and others much less. Cheap doesn't always mean you are getting less, and expensive doesn't mean you will get more for your money. Some therapists charge different amounts depending on where they offer appointments as they may have higher overheads. Think of an amount you are willing to pay and look for a therapist in this price bracket. If you can't find one to suit, you may have to adjust your pricing. Look out for packages for certain problems, such as IBS or weigh loss.
- Ask around for a personal recommendation. The best way to find out more about hypnotherapy is to ask someone who has experienced it. They will be able to tell you what it is really like and how it worked for them. They will also be able to recommend someone to you. If you don't know anyone who has had this therapy before, then arrange to talk to a number of therapists to get a feel for them. See number 5 below.
- Take up the offer of a free consultation. This is sometimes face to face but it is getting more common that this is a telephone consultation. All hypnotherapists should be willing to spend some time talking to you and making sure hypnotherapy is the right option for you. It also gives you a chance to see if you like the therapist and want to work with them.